The Autumn

It is September in Poole, Acorns dripping, birches inheriting the last light while the Ash tree looks cold. I see a falling star, is it a meteorite? No, instead I walk through damp leaves, the spent growth of autumn, imagining a hero on some muddy field, his gift like a slingshot whirled for the desperate. Rain comes down through the Oaks, its low conductive voices mutter about let-downs and erosions. The colours of autumn paint the glory of the trees, pastels, the true hue of nature. 

This is a reminder of my youth, when I followed my mother in her celebration of life, always stumbling behind, trying to keep up and sometimes she would pick me up and say, never give up, and I would take longer strides, now I walk and feel she is always behind me, watching my steps and she does not stumble. The Captain knows what I am talking about.
Tonight we silently say thank you to the summer and welcome the winter, we do not do hot days well but we are masters at strolling in the cold. We welcome the holiday makers departure and the beachside to ourselves.
Came across this flower in the summer and forgot to share it with you. 
Aquilegia alpine, common name Columbine, which is Latin for Doves. We can copy what nature shows but never in the quantity and splendour, I really love the illusion of  5 doves around the flower.

Robert started his last year of schooling, it feels just like yesterday he walked into his first year and now time has caught up and he is studying his last at Poole High, then it is off to Uni and the world.
Thank you for all your comments and encouragement, does make it worthwhile. This blog inspired by Seamus Healey and the immortal Granny June. 

Comments

  1. Robert in his last year of school, Lily in her first year of school. I can still remember Robert going to school when he was little. Time flies. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep up the blogging.............who is Seamus Healey?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment