Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett has passed away. He was one of the most entertaining writers of my time. His Colour of Magic I have read 3 times and still escape into his Discworld series of magic and fantasy. The Discworld consists of a large disc (complete with edge-of-the-world drop-off and consequent waterfall) resting on the backs of four huge elephants which are in turn standing on the back of an enormous turtle, named Great A’Tuin. Pure entertainment.
For me Terry Pratchett invented a roadmap for someone to get lost. That feeling of being lost urged you on to find a way out and you usually did. He was unique in his approach to gentle humour and wild exaggeration.

Someone posted 'Happy Trails, Mr. P. You made me laugh, the world is a better place because of you and I know there will be a lot of glasses raised in your honour tonight.’ 
But for me his daughter summed up my feelings.
'Don't cry because it ended, smile because it happened.’
I leave you with these words by Pratchett, "Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg!" and his take on writing suggestions.  “The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”


Comments

Post a Comment